Susanna Cecilia Stoffelina Elizabeth Therblanche
Her mother was Hester Jacoba Pitto and her father was Daniel Johannes Phillipus Therblanche. She was born on the 9 Feb 1878 in Fauresmith. My first facts were sent to me by a Scottish lady Sandra Gurney, when I joined one of the internet geneology clubs (SA – Roots Web).
1. Herculaas Jacobus MCCARTHY.
Susanna Cecilia Stoffelina Elizabeth TERBLANCHE (daughter of Daniel Johannes Phillipus TERBLANCHE and Hester Jacoba PITTO) was born in Feb 1878 in Fauresmith. She died on 29 May 1909 in Marico. She Gauteng estate ref. 14093.1 Herculaas Jacobus MCCARTHY and Susanna Cecilia Stoffelina Elizabeth TERBLANCHE had the following children:
i. James Daniel Christoffel Benjamin MCCARTHY was born on 2 May 1900.
ii. Daniel Johannes Jacobus Philippus MCCARTHY.
iii. Herculas Jacobus Johannes MCCARTHY was born on 18 Mar 1904.
iv. Hendrik Gert Ramsbottom MCCARTHY was born on 14 Apr 1907.
v. Hester Catharina Jacoba MCCARTHY was born on 14 Aug 1908.
Hercules got married to Susanna Cecilia Stoffelina Elizabeth TERBLANCHE. He was twenty eight years old and she was twenty. They had 5 children. Her husband joined the Anglo Boer War in 1899 against the Imperial forces. He took part in the Anglo Boer War and surrendered in July 1900 then took up arms again in October 1900 and fought till the end.
Her oldest child James Daniel was born on the 2 May 1900. They stayed on a farm Elandsfontein in the Lindley area. Her husband Hercules built them a house on this farm belonging to a Geldenhuis. In 1901 the farm they stayed on was ransacked by his majesty`s forces and all their belongings were taken and destroyed. He husband put in a claim for for 2616.00 pound in 1901.Her father Daniel Therblanche supported the claim. At the date of the claim, 21/08/1903 Hercules was working in the Zambezi.
Sussanna`s second child Daniel Jacobus Phillipus McCarthy was born on the 2 March 1902.
Her third child Herculas Jacobus Johannes MCCARTHY was born on 18 March 1904.
After the war her husband Hercules dug pits for farmers in the Broedersput area, Vryburg district. This was in 1904. It could also have been in the Zeerust area.
My grandfather Gert Hendrik was born on 14 Apr 1905. In this same year her husband’s mother passed away. After the Anglo Boer war, Susanna and her husband Hercules moved to the Marico area, nothing is known about their experiences here.
I found a reference to Susanna`s death in the National archives on the Internet. I found her death certificate on my first visit to the Church of latter day saints in Parktown, Johannesburg.
- They were married for it seems only 10 years.
- She died on the 29 th of May 1909 due to influenza at Kafferskraal, Marico.
- She was only 31 years old.
I got a wonderful photo from My Uncle Piet McCarthy; my Uncle James identified the people on the photo. The photo was taken at Zeerust in 1910.
- 1866 – Catharina du Preez married to James McCarthy on 18 July 1866 in Humansdorp
- 1870 – (3) Hercules Jacobus MCCARTHY was born on 28 Mar 1870. He was christened on 12 Jun 1870 in Humansdorp.
- 1878 – Susanna Cecilia Stoffelina Elisabeth Therblanche born in Fauresmith
- 1898 – Hercules Jacobus MCCARTHY got married to Susanna Cecilia Stoffelina Elisabeth Therblanche on the 21 st June 1998
- in the Ducth reformed church Lindley, district Bethlehem.
- 1899 – The second Anglo Boer war 9 October 1899 – 31 May 1902 Hercules joined in the Anglo Boer war against the Imperial forces.
- 1900 – Hercules first child Daniel Christoffel Benjamin MCCARTHY was born on 2 May 1900
- 1901- His Majesty’s forces ransacked his farm Elandsfontein in the Lindley area on 23 Sept 1901.
- 1902 – His second child Daniel Johannes Jacobus Philippus MCCARTHY was born on the 2 March 1902. Hercules and his wife draw a
- will up on the 22 September 1902 Vryburg and both signed the document In Lindley.
- 1903 – Hercules claim was submitted for compensation for damage done to his farm by the armed forces of his Majesty. He claimed 2616 pound and was never paid.
- Daniel Thereblanche signs as a witness for son in law Hercules.
- 1904 – His third child Herculas Jacobus Johannes MCCARTHY was born on 18 Mar 1904.
- Hercules assisted farmers with water pits using dynamite. His life was saved by a young Ratenbach child who lost his life in the incident.
- (Not proven, story told from one generation to the next). The oldest children in the McCarthy family will get the name Rautenbach.)
- 1905 – His fourth child Hendrik Gert Ramsbottom MCCARTHY was born on 14 Apr 1907. This is the first child that got the name Rautenbach.
- His mother Katrina died in 6 December 1905 on the farm England.
- 1908 – His fith child Hester Catharina Jacoba MCCARTHY was born on 14 Aug 1908.
- 1909 – His wife Susanna CSE Tereblanche died from flue at Kafferskraal, Marico. She was 31 years old.
- 1910 – Photo taken of Hercules with his children at Zeerust.